This is an exciting time for education in Wales. Education in Wales is changing. The biggest change is a new curriculum for schools from September 2020. And we at Tremains Primary School are keen to embrace these changes and shape the curriculum to suite our pupils and community.
The new curriculum has been made in Wales but shaped by the best ideas from around the world.
The new curriculum will look like this:
The Four Core Purposes:
The Four Core Purposes will be at the heart of the new curriculum. They will be the starting point for all decisions on the content and experiences developed as part of the curriculum to support all children and young people to be:
- ambitious, capable learners ready to learn throughout their lives.
- enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work.
- ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world.
- healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
The new curriculum will include:
- 6 Areas of Learning and Experience from 3 to 16.
- 3 cross curricular responsibilities: Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Competence.
- progression reference points at ages 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16.
- achievement outcomes which describe expected achievements at each progression reference point.
The curriculum will be organised into 6 Areas of Learning and Experience:
- Expressive arts.
- Health and Well-being.
- Languages, Literacy and Communication (including Welsh).
- Mathematics and Numeracy.
- Science and Technology.